I recently pulled out my Lucky Stars block-of-the-month blocks and decided to turn them into smaller projects. I made a mug rug with my 6 inch block and was extremely happy with the result. So when I needed to make something to be given as a prize for a fundraiser I'm attending tonight, turning one of the larger blocks into a pillow was an obvious choice. This was my first time making a quilted pillow case and I decided on two design elements: an invisible zipper and piping.
First, I quilted the block the same way I did the mug rug: stitching in the ditch of the star points and echo quilting in the negative space. Next I had to choose piping fabric. I wanted to pull out the lighter blue from the centre star, but I didn't want to use one of exact prints, because I felt they were too busy.
After some consultation with my friends on Instagram, I went with the blue and white floral Liberty print. I made an error when making the piping. I should have cut the fabric on the bias, but instead I did it on the straight of grain. This meant that when I got to the corners of the pillow, there was some wrinkling. This Sew Mama Sew tutorial explained that had I cut on the bias, wrinkles would be avoided. I'll know better next time.
Piping and quilting detail shots.
I am totally smitten with this pillow. I think there are more of these in my future!